Spring into Sustainability
For some of us, the winter blues are coming to an end and all of the little plants are beginning to sprout. So get ready to get outside, start cleaning, and plant a garden!
Here are 5 sustainable things to try this spring:
1. Plant a Garden!
Whether it’s an herb, vegetable, flower, or succulent garden- plant one! Plants are a great way to help bees pollinate, clean your air, add food to your table, and make your life a little more colorful.
2. Turn Off Your Heat/Air Conditioner
The temperatures are starting to regulate which means sleeping with the windows open! One of my favorite things in the spring is sleeping with the windows open and waking up to the sound of birds chirping. By turning off your thermostat you will save so much energy and money on heating and cooling.
3. Go Play Outside
It’s finally warm enough to enjoy the outdoors in a few less layers of clothing. Grab a frisbee, a kayak, a bike, or a buddy and hit the woods for a few hours!
4. Use All Natural Cleaning Products for Spring Cleaning
When working through your spring cleaning, use an all natural cleaner! An easy recipe is soaking citrus fruit peels (such as orange, lemon, or grapefruit) in vinegar for about 2 weeks. Mix that mixture with a 1:1 ratio of water and you are ready to clean all of your windows, glass, counters, and floors!
5. Wash Your Car in Commercial Car Washes
Using a commercial car wash as opposed to washing your car at home can reduce your water consumption by 50%! Plus, the commercial car washes are required to dispose of the chemical ridden water properly so it doesn’t end up in our soil and water systems.
6. Pick Up Accumulated Litter
All winter litter was accumulating in forests, streets, and natural areas. When you go for a walk or hike, take a bag with you and help Mother Nature out! Pick up what you can to bring your areas back to the beauty it was before winter hit!
7. Add One New Sustainable Habit to Your Life
Spring is a time of refresh, a time to start new things and move in a positive direction. So why not pick up one more sustainable habit in your everyday life. I challenge you to pick one habit from this list to implement for 21 days. If you can do it for 21 days straight, it will become a habit.
- Start asking for no straw in your beverages at restaurants and bars
- Start using a reusable water bottle instead of single use
- Cut out all single-use plastic bags
- Start biking to work
- Start turning the faucets off when brushing your teeth and taking shorter showers
- Start eating less meat for a certain amount of days per week- start with Meatless Mondays or go full vegetarian! The parameters are your choice!